Important reading relating to persons with homosexual orientation:
- Healing of Homosexual Attractions
- The Homosexual Condition: Can It Be Changed? Prevented?
- Known causes of same-sex attraction
From “The Homosexual Condition: Can It Be Changed? Prevented?”
Other factors contributing to male or female homosexuality may include:
- a father who, having wanted but failed to get a son, treats his daughter as a boy;
- a mother who favors a “more feminine” daughter over one who is “tomboyish” or a father who favors a “more masculine” son over one he perceives as too sensitive;
- a mother who over-protects or “Smothers” her son, possibly competing with the father for the son’s love;
- the combination of a weak father, who does not draw his son into the world of men and masculinity, with a domineering mother who draws the son into her world;
- the work-addicted or television-addicted parent who is just “too busy” to spend time with a child;
- alcoholism in one or both parents, especially when this leads to emotional neglect of the children;
- parents who are hostile to each other and constantly fighting, so that their children learn to fear marriage and the heterosexual patterns leading to it.
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC):
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.
Where to seek help and counselling in Singapore:
- Focus on the Family (Tel: 6336 1444)
- Family Life Society (Tel: 6488 0278)
- ALife Pregnancy Assistance & Counselling Centre (Tel: 6258 8816)
- Liberty League (Tel: 9620 1630)
- Morning Star FSC Hougang Centre (Tel: 6285 1377)
- Morning Star FSC Sengkang Centre (Tel: 6315 8812)
- Centre for Ignatian Spirituality and Counselling (Tel: 6467 6072)
- Alive Community Network
For your further reading:
- National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH)
- FAQ regarding Homosexuality by NARTH
- Voices of Change
If you encounter Gender Identity Issues or struggle with Same Sex Attraction and need help but don’t know where to start. Pls contact us